The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recently recommended the use of a cloth face covering when you’re out in public to prevent the transmission of COVID-19, and to meet the short supply of N95 masks. N95 and KN95 respirators mask have sold out and been in short supply in many countries. The CDC has also issued a notice of when do you actually need to wear a mask.
Wearing a face mask is one of the prevention measures to limit the spread of the contagious virus SARS-CoV-19. The use of a mask alone is not enough to provide an adequate level of protection; we need to follow other safety measures in order to protect us from the novel coronavirus. Wearing masks should be followed with hand hygiene and other infection prevention and control measures to prevent human-to-human transmission of COVID-19. If you have difficulty finding a face mask, it is better to wear a face shield or cover your face with any cotton cloth. You can buy face shield online at affordable prices.
However, if you are looking for a mask or 3-ply disposable face mask and unable to find it, you can make a cloth face mask with a filter at home by yourself and can wear it to protect yourself against the coronavirus. There are many ways to make a cloth face mask with filter, here I’m going to share one of the methods to make a cloth mask with filter. Keep reading to how to make a homemade clothing mask with filter.
Materials required making a face mask with filter
Following materials are required to make a face mask with filter:
1. Cotton Cloth or Fabric
Try using cotton fabric that’s tightly woven. You can use quilting fabric, T-shirt fabric, or high thread-count fabric from pillowcases or sheets.
2. Elastic Materials
If you don’t have elastic bands, you can use some household elastic items like rubber bands or hair ties. You can also use shoelaces or string.
3. A Filter
The CDC does not suggest using a filter, but some people believe that masks with filters provide a little more protection. Coffee filters are mostly available in many homes. You can also use part of a HEPA vacuum bag or air conditioning filter. I want to clear one thing; there is no scientific evidence to support the use of these types of filters.
4. Sewing materials
You also need sewing materials like sewing machine or needle, scissors, and thread.
Instructions to Sew a Face Mask With Filter
1. Cut your fabric (t-shirt, pillowcase or sheets) into 2 rectangles size of 10 lengths and 6 widths. Carefully, stack both rectangles on top of each other.
2. Fold the top of the cotton fabric downward a quarter of an inch and stitch all the way across. Follow this instruction, and do same with the bottom end.
3. Fold both short sides over a half of inch and stitch down, creating a hem. Leave some space to pass the elastic bands to make ear loops.
3. Cut elastic bands into 6 inches and pass through the space or hem you left and stitch it. If you’re using string, make sure your string is long enough to tie around your head.
4. Now tie both end of the elastic band tightly, carefully tucking the knots into the hems at the sides of the mask.
5. Place the mask on your face and adjust it so that it has a good fit, covering your nose and mouth snugly.
6. Cut your filter material so that it can fit inside the pocket of your new mask. Carefully, slip it inside the pocket.
Wearing a facial covering helps protect against the infectious virus. In case you can’t find KN95 face masks or any face mask at your local shop or online, you can try making a cloth face mask at home.