All of us know that the PST file plays a crucial role in the working of MS Outlook. Any harm towards the PST file can also stop the organization’s workflow, which eventually leads to time loss up to a certain extend. The corrupted PST file not only disrupts Outlook’s workflow but also hampers data integrity. The corruption in PST causes certain errors that restrict users from accessing the data in Outlook. We know that the PST file of Outlook stores email messages, contacts, calendar, task, and other Outlook mailboxes items.
To cope-up with the corruption in PST files and to recover data from them, Outlook has an inbox repair tool known as ScanPST.exe but has the limitation of fixing only minor errors. These limitations push the need for a professional Outlook PST recovery tool to tackle the PST file corruption.
Top most reasons for Outlook PST file corruption
Through this write-up, we will also give some spotlight on the working of ScanPST.exe. Before moving ahead, take a look at some common reasons behind the corruption in the PST file.
- Due to sudden shutdown of Outlook causes corruption in PST files.
- If a PST file is stored in a bad sector of a hard disk, then it increases the chances of PST file corruption.
- Whenever the system file recovery gets interrupted, it leads to PST corruption.
- Certain viruses can corrupt PST files.
- The PST file has some size limit; if it crosses; then, there are high chances of PST file corruption.
- Error in any Outlook program can lead to PST file corruption.
How to Repair PST File corruption?
There are two ways to repair PST files; either through an inbox repair utility of an Outlook or through a professional third-party Outlook PST repair tool. Firstly, we will guide you to repair outlook PST data files through ScanPST.exe.
Manual approach to fix PST file corruption
The inbox repair utility is a hidden file, so the user must allow viewing hidden files and folders to be accessed using the ScanPst.exe tool. Let’s quickly check out the working of this tool:
- First of all, you need to close the Outlook application and then require to locate the file from the given following locations
Outlook 2019: C:\Program Files (x86) \Microsoft Office\root\Office17
Outlook 2016: C:\Program Files (x86) \Microsoft Office\root\Office11
- After completing the above obligations, you need to open ScanPST.exe
- Then, click on Browse to locate the PST file from the system for scanning.
- Go ahead choosing the start button to begin the scanning.
- If you have encountered any errors during the scan, click on the Repair button for initiation of fixing the errors.
- Then open Outlook with the profile associated with the data file you have just patched after the repair process is finished.
Limitation of ScanPST.exe
- The inbox repair tool is unable to repair the severely damaged PST file.
- It can fix a minor error in the corrupted PST file.
- This tool cannot recover up to 2GB of corrupted PST files.
- Deep technical expertise is required to use ScanPST.exe, which restricts the use by inexperienced users.
What will come up after repairing PST file?
- On the Folder page, you will see a Recovered Personal Folders that contains your usual Outlook folders with the Lost and Found folder. Although the repair process will restore some of the files, they may be empty. The Lost and Found folder contain files that the Outlook Recovery tool has recovered and items that are not in the initial Outlook structure.
- You can also create a new data File of Outlook in the Lost and Found folder and pulls the items into the new data file. Then you can delete the Recovered PST file, including the Lost and Found folder, after you have transferred all the objects.
- If you can access the original Outlook data files, then it is possible to recover the additional items from the file. The inbox repair tool creates a backup file in the same folder and with a similar name as of original file but with a .bak extension.
An Automated Outlook PST repair tool
As the inbox repair tool holds a limitation to fix minor errors, so it is better to go with a professional tool, such as the Shoviv Outlook PST repair tool. Some instances will occur where ScanPST.exe is unable to retrieve the data from the corrupted PST file; in such cases, to regain access to data, users can use a third-party tool to recover data files.
This PST recovery tool comes with a PowerPact feature to enjoy seamless recovery of data from the corrupted PST files. Now check out below for its most prominent feature:
Capable of repairing large PST files
Shoviv Outlook PST Repair Tool is capable of scanning and repair large-size PST files. This tool also enables a user to split large-sized PST files.
Adding of Multiple PST Files
The software allows the addition of multiple PST files without hampering the performance of the tool. It also facilitates users to repair Outlook PST data files without changing the folder hierarchy and metaproperty of a PST file item.
The option of saving a file in multiple formats
After repairing the PST file, the software allows saving file data into various file formats. This Outlook PST repair tool enables saving a file in formats such as MSG, EML, HTML, and RTF.
Preview & search PST items
This tool allows users to search PST files based on different search criteria like reading and unread messages. It also facilitates previewing added PST file items to ensure the correctness of data.
Recovery of Hardly Deleted Items
This software can scan and recover hardly deleted PST file items. You can also recover deleted attachments from the PST file.
In general, the PST file is called one of the secured files in MS Outlook, but there are some instances where the PST file gets corrupted, then there should be necessary action has to be taken to prevent the data loss. So, the user can use this third-party Outlook PST repair tool to repair corruption from the PST files.