Here’s everything you need to know about getting your eyelashes permed, including the process and aftercare tips. Let’s get started!
An eyelash perm is a beauty treatment that curls your lashes using special chemicals and solutions. The process usually takes around 30 minutes, and the results can last up to eight weeks.
Your lash esthetician will start by cleaning your eyes and lashes with an oil-free cleanser. It helps to remove any dirt, makeup, or oil that could prevent the perm solution from working properly.
Next, they’ll apply a protecting gel pad over your lower lashes to keep them from getting damaged during the perm process. Then, they’ll carefully place your upper lashes onto curlers of varying sizes. The size of the curler will determine how dramatic the final curl will be.
Once your lashes are in place, the esthetician will apply the perm solution to your lashes. It contributes to breaking down the bindings in your lashes, allowing them to be reshaped. After a few minutes, they’ll remove the perm solution and apply a neutralizing solution. It helps to set the new curl and prevents your lashes from over-processing.
Finally, they’ll remove the curlers and gel pad from your lashes and apply a conditioning serum to help hydrate and protect your lashes.
There are plenty of reasons to get an eyelash perm! Here are just a few benefits:
- Curled lashes can make your eyes look bigger and brighter.
- They can give you a more awake and youthful appearance.
- They can help your mascara to go on smoother and last longer.
- Permed lashes require less effort to maintain than natural lashes.
- For those who have an allergy to eyelash extensions, eyelashes can be a great alternative.
What are the risks of an eyelash perm?
Like any beauty treatment, there are hazards to getting your eyelashes permed. The most common side effect is temporary irritation or redness around the eyes. It is usually mild and goes away within a few hours.
More risks include infection, allergic reaction, and damage to the lashes. All of them are unusual, and you should be aware of them before making an appointment.
How long does an eyelash perm last?
An average eyelash perm lasts six to eight weeks. It can, however, fluctuate depending on your lash development cycle and how well you care for your lashes.
You should also be careful when using retinoids or other exfoliating products around your eyes, as these can cause your lashes to shed prematurely.
How to prepare for your eyelash perm appointment?
You should meet with your esthetician or lash artist to discuss the look you want to achieve to any potential allergies to the products used in your procedure.
- If you wear contact lenses, please remove them before your appointment. We also recommend removing all eye makeup for optimal results.
- Please arrive at your appointment with clean lashes. Oils and residue from makeup, skin care products, and environmental pollution can prevent the perm solution from working correctly.
- Avoid using waterproof mascara or products containing petroleum jelly in the week leading up to your appointment, as these can also interfere with the results.
- Don’t curl your lashes before your appointment, as this can make them more difficult to perm.
What to expect during and after your eyelash perm appointment?
During the perm process, you will lie down with your eyes closed while your lash artist applies the perm solution to your lashes. You may feel a slight tingling or burning sensation, but this is normal and should subside within a few minutes.
The entire process usually takes 30 to 45 minutes.
Following the usage of the perm solution, you will need to wait for it to take effect. It usually takes about 10 minutes.
After the perm solution has done its job, your lash artist will neutralize your lashes to stop the curling process.
Once completed, they will apply a conditioning serum to your lashes and remove the curlers.
You can expect your eyelash perm to last for six to eight weeks. However, this will vary depending on your lash growth cycle and how carefully you care for your lashes.
How to care for your newly permed lashes?
There are a few things you can do to extend the life of your perm and keep your lashes looking their best:
- Be careful when using retinoids or other exfoliating products around your eyes, as these can cause your lashes to shed prematurely.
- Use a lash serum to help condition your lashes and keep them healthy.
- Gently brush your lashes with a clean mascara wand or Lash comb to help them retain their shape.
- Avoid rubbing or touching your eyes, as this can cause your lashes to fall.
- Be careful when using waterproof mascara, as this can be difficult to remove and may cause your lashes to break.
- Heat tools, such as curlers or straighteners, on your lashes can damage them.
If you’re considering getting an eyelash perm, we recommend doing your research while finding a reputable lash artist or esthetician.
Several great beauty schools in Utah can help you get the training you need to become a lash artist. Check out our list of top-rated programs to get started.